Lewannick CP School is a smaller than average-sized primary school, located near Launceston on the edge of Bodmin Moor. It has 119 pupils on roll (December 2018), aged from 2 – 11 years. Its pupils are drawn from a mixed catchment area that includes the immediate parish villages of Lewannick and Polyphant, as well as many small rural hamlets.
Our vision and values are at the core of everything we do. They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils to be confident, happy citizens. The children here at Lewannick, and what is right for them, remain the central focus for all staff and members of our school community at all times.
Ethos and Vision Statement
Our attitude to school life for the children who come here is enshrined in our vision statement created with staff and children:
‘A love of life through a love of learning’
We strive to give our children the opportunity to be independent and resilient learners, who experience the fun, enjoyment and achievement that a quality education offers. Irrespective of starting point or size of challenges faced, we ensure that as a school, we give the children the scope to maximize their potential throughout each and every school day.
Within an environment that offers children appropriate learning challenges, whilst being supportive and nurturing, we find that our children really enjoy their educational experiences at Lewannick.
How does a love of learning give our pupils a love of life? Here’s what they told us below:
- The teachers make learning interesting, fun and exciting, which makes facing challenges easier.
- Social skills are really important; all members of the school communicate positively with each other and enjoy community activities like the school discos which are open to everyone.
- Sport is highly valued with opportunities to take part in clubs, team sports and individual events, including swimming, rugby, cross-country, netball, football and tennis. The school also organises trips to watch professional sports, for example visits to Exeter City FC and Plymouth Raiders.
- The wide range of trips and educational visits are really valuable, particularly the chance to go abroad on Erasmus+ visits and to France. Residential visits are also really important as they encourage lots of skills and help pupils to become more independent. These include London, Penzance, The Eden Project, Porthpean Outdoor Learning Centre and Bristol. Trips to places such as the theatre are ‘inspirational’. In October 2018, we even participated in an exercise which involved being taken onto an in-service Dutch warship for the day as part of an evacuation exercise!
- The range of creative opportunities, such as playing music, singing, dance, drama and art give everyone a chance to shine.
- Outdoor learning, linked to a theme, is really great because it makes a subject more ‘real’. Working in the school grounds is also really valued. We now have a Forest School area, our outdoor classroom and garden, and Mrs Cook’s discovery and play area.
- Pupils feel safe at school and this helps them to achieve their best in work and play.
We hope this gives you a sample of what we believe in. Our school often gets complimented on its ‘feel’ of warmth, happiness and engagement and we continually reflect upon this with these values and vision.
Our aims are at the core of everything we do. They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils as confident, aspirational and happy individuals.
Each Lewannick child will be given equal opportunity to develop:
- Self-esteem, patience and understanding of our own and others needs.
- A reasoned set of personal attitudes, values and beliefs and a respect for the religions and moral values of others.
- The skills and values of a critical, free-thinking and active global citizen
- The ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- A lifelong love of learning through a broad curriculum, which is interactive, challenging, stimulating and fun and embeds in them a desire to achieve their best.
- Qualities of spirit, empathy, imagination and a sense of wonder.