Lewannick CP School is a smaller than average-sized primary school, located near Launceston on the edge of Bodmin Moor. It has 102 pupils on roll (February 2020), aged from 2 – 11 years. Its pupils are drawn from a mixed catchment area that includes the immediate parish villages of Lewannick and Polyphant, as well as many small rural hamlets.
Our vision and values are at the core of everything we do. They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils to be confident, happy citizens. The children here at Lewannick, and what is right for them, remain the central focus for all staff and members of our school community at all times.
Lewannick CP School is part of The Duchy Academy Trust (TDAT), which also includes Boyton and Callington Primary Schools. Our Executive Headteacher is the head at both Lewannick and Boyton Schools.
TDAT Ethos and Vision Statement
Our attitude to school life for the children who come here is enshrined in our vision statement created with staff and children:
‘Together we inspire, together we nurture, together we achieve’
We strive to give our children the opportunity to be independent and resilient learners, who experience the fun, enjoyment and achievement that a quality education offers. Irrespective of starting point or size of challenges faced, we ensure that as a school, we give the children the scope to maximize their potential throughout each and every school day.
Our values of:
These underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils as confident, happy citizens.
How do we inspire, nurture and achieve together? Here’s what they told us below:
- The teachers make learning interesting, fun and exciting, which makes facing challenges easier.
- Social skills are really important; all members of the school communicate positively with each other and enjoy community activities like the school discos which are open to everyone.
- Sport is highly valued with opportunities to take part in clubs, team sports and individual events, including swimming, cross-country, netball and football.
- The wide range of trips and educational visits are really valuable, particularly the chance to go abroad to France with Callington and Boyton Primary Schools. Residential visits are also really important as they encourage lots of skills and help pupils to become more independent. These include Porthpean Outdoor Learning Centre and Wild Camping. Trips to places such as the Eden Project and London are ‘inspirational’.
- The range of creative opportunities, such as playing music, singing, drama and art give everyone a chance to shine. We’re are also having an author/illustrator visit later this year and an in school poetry competition, both of which will coincide with our Literacy Week.
- Outdoor learning, linked to a theme, is really great because it makes a subject more ‘real’. Working in the school grounds is also really valued. We now have a Forest School area, our outdoor classroom, garden and area of discovery.
- Pupils feel safe at school and this helps them to achieve their best in work and play.
We hope this gives you a sample of what we believe in. Our school often gets complimented on its ‘feel’ of warmth, happiness and engagement and we continually reflect upon this with these values and vision.
Our aims are at the core of everything we do. They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils as confident, inspirational and happy individuals.
Each Lewannick child will be given equal opportunity to develop:
- Self-esteem, patience and understanding of our own and others needs.
- A reasoned set of personal attitudes, values and beliefs and a respect for the religions and moral values of others.
- The skills and values of a critical, free-thinking and active global citizen
- The ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- A lifelong love of learning through a broad curriculum, which is interactive, challenging, stimulating and fun and embeds in them a desire to achieve their best.
- Qualities of spirit, empathy, imagination and a sense of wonder.